Skip to main content

My Favorite Things 1.6: Style Icon Edition



Once in awhile I like to post some things that inspire me such as items I've purchased, seen online, etc. Today I wanted to share some of my style icons! I gravitate towards different styles depending on how I'm feeling, but some of my icons will always stay the same. I always get asked who I look up to for style inspiration and it's CONSTANTLY changing. I don't like using one person as an icon because I'm not one who finds that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". First up:


Linda Ramone

I grew up listening to the Ramones, but, admittedly, I'm not an expert on their music. One thing I have paid close attention to is the style of Johnny Ramone's widow, Linda. Linda is not only an AMAZING philanthropist, but a true style WONDER! 
Her use of color not only in her wardrobe, but her everyday life shows how unafraid she is of being looked at. From her vivid Flame colored hair to her silver Go-Go Boots, she's the embodiment of BORN STYLE.



All Images Courtesy of 'Vogue' Magazine

Iona: Pretty in Pink

Growing up, I was OBSESSED with Molly Ringwald films! Like many others, I've seen "Sixteen Candle" & "The Breakfast Club" more times than I can count.  It took me until my Middle School years to FINALLY watch "Pretty in Pink". That is where I was introduced to Ringwald's character, Andie's, best friend Iona. 
If you've ever seen the film, then you'd know her character has a different style persona in each scene. She's been Punk, a 1960's Beehive Queen, a 1940's vamp and even a classic 80's Prep all in one film.  The fashion wasn't gimmicky or expected, but refined and true to her own personality. She is exactly who I think of when I think of the phrase, "Dress for how you want to feel". 






Tura Satana

For anyone who loves a good, campy film I HIGHLY suggest you watch Russ Meyer's 1965 film "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" starring the AMAZING Exotic Dancer turned Actress, Tura Satana as Varla. Her outstanding wit, laugh and saucy fashion has always intrigued me since I first saw the film in high school. Old Drive-in classics have always had a special place in my film loving heart & Meyer's film featured some badass, strong women taking matters in their own hands.
Plus, her eyeliner gives me LIFE.





Edith Head


When I first started off in college, my dream was to study Fashion Design, with an emphasis on Costume Design. Long story short, that didn't happen, but that didn't mean I haven't loved it ever since! 
Edith Head is one of  the most prolific & creative costume GENIUSES of all time. She's dressed a WHO'S WHO of Hollywood from Elizabeth Taylor, Bette Davis, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn and SO many more! Here are some of my favorites below! 

The ICONIC Dress from "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

Bette Davis in "All About Eve"

Ginger Rogers for "Lady in the Dark"

Head was also the winner of 8 Academy Awards for her designs.


Like I said before, my style inspirations change with the wind, but there are always key looks I take away from everyone! I feel that's what makes personal style so unique! 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wear Whatever the Hell You Want

I don't know about you, but I feel like everyday should be a day to dress-up, wear weird things, or just be a different style version of yourself. My style is not fluid by any means.  I wear what I want and there's usually never any rhyme or reason.  I go through spurts where I will wear nothing but Black for weeks on end, or I'll wear the most ostentatious vintage blouse or dress. Weird looks and stares are usually waiting outside the door, but as Mae West said, "It's better to be looked over than over-looked". Or at least, that's my motto. Lately, I've decided that if I want to wear a 1950's bathing suit out and about, I'm going to. I don't live near any lakes or pools, but it's nice to pretend like you do :) 1950's Bathing Suit w/ a 1960's Bed Jacket I'm quite a big fan of Vintage Bed Jackets and it's one of the many things I hoard (collect).  I found this GORGEOUS & PRISTINE Deadstock Bed Jacket from "

The One Phrase That Makes Me Cringe & How We Can Change It...

"I love vintage clothing, but I don't know when I'd wear it" Whenever someone makes that comment to me, my heart breaks a little.  The answer is that you can ALWAYS find a time & place to wear vintage!  The key is to have CONFIDENCE when you wear something outside of your comfort zone! Even if you're not confident, FAKE IT! Pretend you're playing a role until that confidence becomes the truth! I grew up wearing things, not necessarily vintage, that always caused people to talk, sneer or poke fun at me.  That's was people do when they don't understand you or, let's face it, life in general. Well guess what? That's NOT your problem! If they don't like it, great! They don't have to wear it! That leaves more amazing clothing for you! Photo by Kelsey Jenson Photography One of my favorite things about wearing vintage is that I can incorporate those pieces into my newer outfits! Whenever I buy clothing, new or old, I always as

The Never Ending List of Collection Additions...

Here we are yet again with the latest addition to my Burlesque Costume Collection 😊 I can't help myself.. I really can't.... I could but I don't want to... Just LOOK at the detailing.... the faux Pearls, Silver sequins, Lurex, Sea Beads! I really believe that these are pieces of art especially because they're handmade!  You can really tell when something is extravagantly made when the sheer weight of it makes you go "Uffda!". I will never get over the pure beauty of these pieces because they really show you the personality of the artist wearing them. The 1960's really brought the "A" game when it came to burlesque attire. 1960's set includes arm bands, belt & bra via TiffLittleFingers on Etsy The waterfalls of beading on the bra really get me going! I often wonder how many backbreaking hours it took to make this whole piece. The dedication & vision is truly amazing! I normally don't make many fashio