Skip to main content

My Holy Grail of Vintage Treasures

Every vintage collector has that one piece of vintage, in their minds, that they dream of and lust for. That one piece that is their own personal, Holy Grail of vintage treasures.  Last week, I found mine. I was shopping at a local antique mall when I came across a booth that I usually always skip, since I've become quite accustomed to my own booth pattern.  In a little crate, hidden around the corner, I found a treasure trove a vintage crowns! They appeared to be, what I thought, were beauty pageant crowns due to their height and rhinestones.  There were two that were Gold with Rainbow rhinestones, but looked to be around the 80's.  I then saw, to my EXTREME surprise THIS:


It was that one moment where I got the cold sweats and I started to shake (dramatic, right? ;p).  My heart was pounding and I knew it HAD to be mine! The condition of the rhinestones date this to be around the early to mid-1950's, but the stars at the top are what were perplexing to me.  I couldn't tell if they were added later, or are original to the piece. Either way, it is GLORIOUS! The problem: the hefty price tag.  I've always had a problem saving $$ when it comes to vintage pieces.  I find them to be investments and things that have history and meaning beyond words.  I didn't look at this piece and think, "How many times would I actually be able to wear this", but rather, "How many times would I kick myself and cry for not getting this?". 
I must add that my partner-in-crime for my antiquing excursion was my lovely mother, who has always been just as fascinated by history as I am.  We decided to walk around the rest of the mall to let it steep, in my mind, for a bit.  In all honesty, I was done for! As we walked around I couldn't stop thinking about this crown! NOTHING looked as good to me as that crown felt! Even though I knew my bank account (and boyfriend) would be sore from the price, I HAD TO HAVE IT! I took the financial plunge and I haven't regretted it yet :)
Crop Top: H&M
Necklace: JC Penney's

I was SO EXCITED to wear this that I couldn't wait! I wore this beauty in the car, through a car wash and a drive-thru.... I have no shame.  My next task is to find out where the heck this came from!? There's no makers mark that I can find and I'm drooling with curiosity as to who owned this! Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wear Whatever the Hell You Want

I don't know about you, but I feel like everyday should be a day to dress-up, wear weird things, or just be a different style version of yourself. My style is not fluid by any means.  I wear what I want and there's usually never any rhyme or reason.  I go through spurts where I will wear nothing but Black for weeks on end, or I'll wear the most ostentatious vintage blouse or dress. Weird looks and stares are usually waiting outside the door, but as Mae West said, "It's better to be looked over than over-looked". Or at least, that's my motto. Lately, I've decided that if I want to wear a 1950's bathing suit out and about, I'm going to. I don't live near any lakes or pools, but it's nice to pretend like you do :) 1950's Bathing Suit w/ a 1960's Bed Jacket I'm quite a big fan of Vintage Bed Jackets and it's one of the many things I hoard (collect).  I found this GORGEOUS & PRISTINE Deadstock Bed Jacket from "

The One Phrase That Makes Me Cringe & How We Can Change It...

"I love vintage clothing, but I don't know when I'd wear it" Whenever someone makes that comment to me, my heart breaks a little.  The answer is that you can ALWAYS find a time & place to wear vintage!  The key is to have CONFIDENCE when you wear something outside of your comfort zone! Even if you're not confident, FAKE IT! Pretend you're playing a role until that confidence becomes the truth! I grew up wearing things, not necessarily vintage, that always caused people to talk, sneer or poke fun at me.  That's was people do when they don't understand you or, let's face it, life in general. Well guess what? That's NOT your problem! If they don't like it, great! They don't have to wear it! That leaves more amazing clothing for you! Photo by Kelsey Jenson Photography One of my favorite things about wearing vintage is that I can incorporate those pieces into my newer outfits! Whenever I buy clothing, new or old, I always as

The Never Ending List of Collection Additions...

Here we are yet again with the latest addition to my Burlesque Costume Collection 😊 I can't help myself.. I really can't.... I could but I don't want to... Just LOOK at the detailing.... the faux Pearls, Silver sequins, Lurex, Sea Beads! I really believe that these are pieces of art especially because they're handmade!  You can really tell when something is extravagantly made when the sheer weight of it makes you go "Uffda!". I will never get over the pure beauty of these pieces because they really show you the personality of the artist wearing them. The 1960's really brought the "A" game when it came to burlesque attire. 1960's set includes arm bands, belt & bra via TiffLittleFingers on Etsy The waterfalls of beading on the bra really get me going! I often wonder how many backbreaking hours it took to make this whole piece. The dedication & vision is truly amazing! I normally don't make many fashio